[Digikam-users] tagging: cr2 vs dng

Jim Dory james at dorydesign.com
Sat Jan 1 23:49:16 GMT 2011

I've just noticed something that could have saved me a bunch of time.
When I tag raw cr2 files from my Canon camera, it is nearly
instantaneous - very little time taken to apply tags. But since I have
an earlier version of photoshop (which I run in a virtual machine on
my linux workstation) it (Camera Raw) doesn't recognized the newer cr2
files so I convert them to DNG, so I can edit them using photoshop.

So, when I tag DNG files in Digikam - it takes an incredibly long time
when tagging several at once. I convert all my CR2 files to DNG then
move off the CR2 files to an external backup and forget about them and
just have DNG in Digikam. Unfortunately I've done this to many
hundreds of photos before tagging them - and now face the painfully
slow tagging process. Easy workaround in the future and something I
now realize I should have been doing is just first tag the CR2s before
converting -as the tags are preserved during the conversion to DNG.

So not sure if my setup is wrong or I'm doing something wrong, but not
sure why DNG takes so long in applying tags. I am using Adobe's DNG
converter as I have not yet figured out how to get Digikam's DNG
conversion to work as well - I'm not happy with color/white balance.

Happy New Year and love the Digikam program - many thanks for your
hard work on it!

cheers, JD