[Digikam-users] Re: Channel Mixer Question

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 13:59:55 GMT 2011

If the result is the same than Gimp, so ,it's not a bug, because i
backported code from gimp and improved the algorithm to support 16
bits color depth

To compare gimp and digiKam, you must use 8 bits color depth image,
not 16 bits. If result are the same, there is no bug.

The fact than Green channel is a factor to increase noise is due to
the double green sensor in Color Array pixel from you camera.

A RAW pixel is RGGB. So 2 green component are there, arround double
contribution.

Because a RAW camera pixel is square, camera maker need to set a color
component is double. The color filter is named Bayer :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayer_filter

Why to double Green chanel : to reproduce human vision sensitivity...

The current B&W converter in digiKam work in RGB color space. To be
more sensible to green noise, the tool must perform color mixing in
another color space as HSL.

Gilles Caulier