[Digikam-users] Re: if system monitor profile set, can't override in color management settings

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Thu Feb 24 08:49:59 GMT 2011

on Thursday 24 February 2011, Elle Stone wrote:
(snip)

> Feature? or Bug? Gimp allows to use or not use system monitor, if one has
> been set. Personally, I like the option of being able to overriding the
> system monitor profile.

Why would you want to override one profile with another?

'Overriding' the profile set by dispwin could be a bad idea:
dispwin can install a profile that modifies the LUT for the graphicd card,
which corrects all output to the graphics card from all applications. This can
be completely transparent to the applications (as in, "they don't have to know
what happens")
The profiles used by digikam are (I suppose) more like translation tables,
where the program using the profile translates the image data before sending
them to the graphics system.

So, 'overriding' the profile set by dispwin could have one of two effects:
- the LUT profile is disabled, meaning that images from Digikam display
correctly, and everything else will be uncorrected (not what the one
installing the LUT profile wanted, presumably)

- the LUT profile is NOT disabled; then what should Digikam do? Knowing that
both profiles correct assume an uncorrected display, applying the 'digikam'
profile before the LUT profile would give wrong colours on the image, and
correct colours everywhere else (not what the digikam user wants).

This assumes of course that both profiles do their job. If one of them is
wrong, get rid of it...

Remco