[Digikam-users] On backing up

Paul Verizzo paulv at paulv.net
Wed Feb 23 13:27:12 GMT 2011

Having almost lost a big box of photos to a fire in 1988, and many hard
drives dying over the years, call me paranoid.  Pardon me if I weigh in
on this somewhat off topic topic, but it is a passion of mine.  While my
experiences and practices are for Windows, surely the open source
community has similar options.

Backing up once a month is fine if  you don't shoot anything in a
month!  Anytime I off load a camera to the computer, it gets backed up
right away.  /You hard drive WILL fail.  Maybe not tomorrow, but
eventually!  /And I don't erase the camera card until those new images
are in a third location.

I have a second drive on the computer for backups.  I just saw several
local vendors selling 2 TB USB drives for $100.  Cost is no longer an
issue.  I use a simple command box program called xxcopy.  A few
keystrokes, off it goes.  I can either merely add new material (/bu) or
clone the second drive to mirror the first (/clone).

Once upon a time I kept a hard drive in my car and I would clone it at
least twice a month -  if I remembered!.

For over a year I've been using Carbonite service.  For $55/year,
unlimited storage, automatic backing up, and off site retrieval.
Usually in minutes, my new images are WAY off site.  OK, now I can erase
the camera card.  One time I very accidentally erased, yes, my photo
folder from both my primary and secondary hard drives while cleaning
things up!   In twelve hours it was all restored from Carbonite.  It's
not just fire or hard ware failure, there is the human component.

Maybe there is a Linux equivalent of Carbonite, or you can use your own
web hosting space to hold the back up.

When I went on vacation this month, I took my second hard drive to my
sister's in a plastic food box.  My house could burn down (see opening
sentence) and I would still have two copies of everything.  If I were to
ever lose all my (digital, there are still analog) photos, and my
writings, I think I'd shoot myself.

I hope this possibly saves a disaster for someone.  Short of nuclear
demolition, I think my photos are safe.

Paul