[Digikam-users] Pentax-k5 RAW photo problem

Pentti Rautio pentti.j.rautio at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 13 16:44:39 GMT 2011

Bought yesterday new Pentax-5. In k5 you can save raw either to PEF or
DNG and in adobe or srgb. Digikam gives an error with PEF and
prosesses DNG with a purple stripe (in top when vertical photo and in
left with a horizontal one). You can crop it and you have an image
which is equal or almost equal size to the camera jpg. After one day
and 50 shots I don't see any problems with colors.

I don't know the difference between PEF and DNG, both are compressed
16 bit to 14 bit, I guess, and are about the same size 23Mb.

Currently I use Ubuntu 10.10 with Digikam 1.8.0. and have used digikam
for about two years. I am very happy with digikam.

Darktable is able to render both RAW forms (PEF and DNG) correctly but
Rawtherapee, DNG-converter and Darkroom cannot.

(Lately I have used Rawtherapee alfa version for difficult RAW:s and
after prosessing do the rest in digikam).

I Have about 80.000 -90.000 photos from  mainly Nikon or Sony, about
one third are RAW. System has internal disk space of 2.5 Tb. Currently
I move the images first to small and handy 500Gb Samsung usb disks and
use them also to move photos to other systems if needed. For backup
there are external bigger usb-disks.

Hope for Pentax-5K file support in the near future.

Thanks for an excellent program.

Pentti