[Digikam-users] Re: Rating based on quality or content? Ideas, comments?

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Fri Feb 11 18:39:42 GMT 2011

on Friday 11 February 2011, Johnny wrote:
> While rating pictures I always struggle to be consistent, mainly because
> I am struggling whether to rate the picture for it's quality or it's
> content.
>
> In particular considering that the quantity of digital images have
> increased drastically the last few years, making the differentiation of
> quality and content less acute - there is normally a quite good quality
> picture that also represents the situation or motive it is intended to
> capture. However, earlier years albums have fewer pictures, of sometimes
> quite poor quality to be frank, but the rarer the picture and content,
> the more precious in a way, so I'd like to rate "content" as high, while
> rating "quality" as poor.
>
> Does anyone else recognize this, and if so, how do you deal with it?
>
> Now, I could probably do a separate tag structure for this, but it would
> be ideal to have two separate star-ratings, and e.g. pass through the
> collection, using C-[1-5] for quality rating and (maybe) M-[1-5] for
> content rating.
>
> I am looking forward to hear fellow Digikam users opinions and ideas!

I try and rate on content, and delete if quality is insufficient. So for me,
there would no need to go back every so often to adjust the 'quality' tags
(which is what your system would require). Also, a borderline quality that is
kept, has value, so wouldn't be deleted anyway, why complicate things with two
ratings (I'm not a professional, so no problems related to selling pictures)?

Remco