[Digikam-users] Digikam dependency on akonadi

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Wed Aug 24 09:48:48 BST 2011

Am 24.08.2011 10:09, schrieb Karl Günter Wünsch:
> On 08/24/11 08:24, Martin (KDE) wrote:
>> I don't know why, but most users don't like akonadi and nepomuk.
> Because they are breaking over and over and over again. If I count the
> time that I had to spend getting these wretched things to compile (not
> working but compile) due to their external dependencies - I'd rather see
> them gone for good than spend one more minute going through the next
> iteration of them... And if anything goes wrong with the database they
> rely on - which is a normal occurrence on all the computers running KDE4
> I have to tend to - you're up the creek without a paddle if you don't
> happen to be a database expert of sorts. As you explained the next
> iteration of this malarchy is already on it's way, this time it's sqlite
> - for which IIRC there aren't any proper administrative tools available.

I like the idea (but I think that akonadi is not in final stage). As
akonadi is a cache only, there should be a button to reset the DB
(whichever it is then) and start from the beginning. May be it is even
wiser to recreate/invalidate the cache every now and then.

>> Anyway: You can tag photos with data from the address book and this
>> needs kdepim and akonadi.
> Another useless feature for some - I for one am taking about 15,000+
> photos in a year and of those not a single one will have people in it
> (most of them literally no people at all, I am a nature photographer)
> that I know or if I know them I wouldn't add to my address book (sports
> personalities at sporting events)! I can even understand why someone
> with known people in his photos would like to rip out the dependency -
> because every time they give a picture to someone else they'd need to
> remove that information anyway to protect the anonymity of the people
> depicted (even if they have permission to publish these photos, tagging
> these photos when publishing may well be illegal in Germany for example).

I don't use the address book in DK. I even don't like it. The list of
addresses clutters my monitor if I touch the entry with the mouse by
accident. I would vote for removing it.

>> I think it is a great idea to have a shared
>> address book for all apps with one simple (or may be not that simple)
>> interface (same is true for calendar).
> I think it's a path that will drive some people away from digikam for
> good. IMHO an address book has no place in an image editing application
> - I can even give you cases (such as the above sporting events or
> concerts) where your address book must not be used.
>>
>> For faster search from outside digikam you can enable nepomuk data store
>> in digikam (all tags are stored in nepomuk as well). This can be
>> switched in digikam settings.
> I have just switched from kmail to thunderbird because I want to get rid
> of the resource hogs (and points of severe data loss) that akonadi and
> nepomuk turned out to be. My machine has 8Gb of RAM, high end 4 core
> processor, fast disks to accomodate fast image editing but nepomuk and
> akonadi happily tried to take all they could get. So count me in for a
> nepomuk and akonadi (and face detection) free digikam which does only
> what it says on the tin: picture editing and collection management.
> Especially Nepomuk storage is highly unstable and I couldn't tell you
> how many times I had to remove the whole database to get it working
> again - so all information that happens to be stored only there I
> consider non existent in the first place.

Definitely true. It should be a cache thing only. At least by option. I
currently use kde 4.6 so I have kmail1 (and no data loss so far).

The next problem (for me): I use a NFS base network which gives
different (and additional) problems with akonadi/strigi/nepomuk.

I use Thunderbird and kmail and both have their advantages. But this is
off topic.