[Digikam-users] Digikam dependency on akonadi

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Wed Aug 24 07:24:29 BST 2011

Am 24.08.2011 08:03, schrieb Vikram:
> Hi I am trying to remove Akonadi and Nepomuk from my Arch linux system.
> I tried disabling Akonadi but it sometimes get enabled after a version
> upgrade and is a resource hog.

Currently akonadi is a little bit big, that's true. But this will change
in the future. AFAIK sqlite as akonadi storage is on the way (it is
already there but has to be configured by hand).

> I can't remove Akonadi since my arch package manager says that digikam
> depends on kdepimlibs and that in turn depends on Akonadi. Does digikam
> depend on either kdepimlibs or Akonadi or is this a Arch packaging issue
> ? I'd like to keep digikam which I love and use very often but would
> like to remove Akonadi.

I don't know why, but most users don't like akonadi and nepomuk. The
strange thing is that if you don't use it you can either switch it of
(nepomuk) or it is not started automatically (akonadi).

Anyway: You can tag photos with data from the address book and this
needs kdepim and akonadi. I think it is a great idea to have a shared
address book for all apps with one simple (or may be not that simple)
interface (same is true for calendar).

For faster search from outside digikam you can enable nepomuk data store
in digikam (all tags are stored in nepomuk as well). This can be
switched in digikam settings.

Martin