[Digikam-users] Exif Metadata bug?

manfred manfred.1980 at freenet.de
Fri Aug 19 15:00:27 BST 2011

I have the same problem in version 2.0 (kubuntu 11.4 from Philips
repository)
Digikam is deleting exif data if I use XML sidecars!

Depending on Digikams preferences

1) Preferences: write to xml sidecars

JPEG
I apply to a jpeg a keyword
All exif belonging to the original jpeg is gone
checking the jpeg file in gwenview shows the same: exif gone, really gone!
double checking again with JPhotoTagger: It's gone!
The digikam itself used exif is there! But all original is lost.

One more test.
Not using XML sidecars > add a keyword (tag) to a jpeg.
Than changing digikams preferences to use XML sidecar (incl. writing to file
and XML sidecars):
No more exif to see in digikam (only Software, Date and Time, all by digikam
itself.) The keyword is still shown.
Switching back the preferences: The exif and keyword is shown again too. So
not now deleted.

RAW
I apply a keyword to a raw file (experimental writing into raw not used!)
The original exif is not anymore shown, but still there.
If I switch back not to use XML sidecars, the raw exif is shown again.
So RAW doesn't have the problem (I didn't try the experimental RAW exif
feature)

2) Preferences: do not use XML sidecars

I apply a keyword to a jpeg
Just fine, exif still there, keyword added.

I would resume:
Digikam using XML sidecars is first writing to the sidecar and than syncing
the xml to the jpegs exif. This way the XML sidecar has only the digikam
exif informations at the end. However, I dont know, if its this way working.

As I thought using XML sidecars is a very nice idea, I used it 2 days, this
way deleting hundreds pictures exifs.

Here a XML of one of the files, which exif data where deleted, before having
a complete set of Panasonic Lumix exif data:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<x:xmpmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/" x:xmptk="XMP Core 4.4.0-Exiv2">
 <rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">
  <rdf:Description rdf:about=""
    xmlns:tiff="http://ns.adobe.com/tiff/1.0/"
    xmlns:xmp="http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/"
    xmlns:digiKam="http://www.digikam.org/ns/1.0/"
    xmlns:exif="http://ns.adobe.com/exif/1.0/"
    xmlns:photoshop="http://ns.adobe.com/photoshop/1.0/"
    xmlns:MicrosoftPhoto="http://ns.microsoft.com/photo/1.0/"
    xmlns:lr="http://ns.adobe.com/lightroom/1.0/"
   tiff:Software="digiKam-2.0.0"
   tiff:DateTime="2011-08-07T14:53:39"
   xmp:CreatorTool="digiKam-2.0.0"
   xmp:CreateDate="2011-08-07T14:53:39"
   xmp:MetadataDate="2011-08-07T14:53:39"
   xmp:ModifyDate="2011-08-07T14:53:39"
   digiKam:PickLabel="0"
   digiKam:ColorLabel="0"
   exif:DateTimeOriginal="2011-08-07T14:53:39"
   photoshop:DateCreated="2011-08-07T14:53:39">
   <digiKam:TagsList>
    <rdf:Seq>
     <rdf:li>filterpeople</rdf:li>
    </rdf:Seq>
   </digiKam:TagsList>
   <dc:subject>
    <rdf:Bag>
     <rdf:li>filterpeople</rdf:li>
    </rdf:Bag>
   </dc:subject>
   <MicrosoftPhoto:LastKeywordXMP>
    <rdf:Seq>
     <rdf:li>filterpeople</rdf:li>
    </rdf:Seq>
   </MicrosoftPhoto:LastKeywordXMP>
   <lr:hierarchicalSubject>
    <rdf:Bag>
     <rdf:li>filterpeople</rdf:li>
    </rdf:Bag>
   </lr:hierarchicalSubject>
  </rdf:Description>
 </rdf:RDF>
</x:xmpmeta>

I have switched off XML sidecars for now. But I would like to see the
feature working. If anybody wants me to check more, please dont hesitate.