[Digikam-users] Re: How to use the RAW converter

Marie-Noëlle Augendre mnaugendre at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 16:41:21 BST 2010

2010/9/26 Remco Viëtor <remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr>

> First, the raw converter prepares the image for the image editor, you are
> not
> yet in the image editor when doing raw conversion...
>
> In the digikam raw converter, the first tab has a button 'update' which
> applies the changes you made. No direct update, as the conversion can take
> quite some time, especially when you select the option to rebuild the
> highlights. (I think this is because a number of changes has to be applied
> before the matrix interpolation and to the full image data)
> The post-processing tab only has actions that are relatively fast so direct
> preview is possible (also because the modifications can be done on the
> preview
> image)
>
> To get the image in the image editor, use the 'import', this will generate
> the
> full image and open it in the image editor, where you can finish adjusting
> it
> and save it (at the very least I apply some sharpening before saving, and
> perspective or lens corrections, cropping if needed, etc.)
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Remco
>

> This has helped a lot to understand how it works.

However, as a complete newbie to raw, I feel very handicapped at not seeing
immediately the results of every modification. For white balance for
example, sliding cursors back and forth has no meaning for me if I can't
preview the resulting effect on the image.
Lack of documentation is also an issue.
I'm really willing to switch from jpeg to raw, but I'm still struggling to
get some result.

Thanks to those who have directed me to the "Meet the Gimp" videos, I think
I'll give a try to the Gimp ufraw plugin, that seems much more easy to use
(wysiwyg at least).

But I find another way, or more accessible documentation, I'll be happy to

Marie-Noëlle

--
Une galerie photos, un blog ... pourquoi pas ? Webmaster en
herbe<http://www.webmaster-en-herbe.net/>

Parcourez les Cévennes à ma façon : Cévennes
Plurielles<http://www.cevennes-plurielles.com>

Et toutes mes autres publications à partir de ma page d'accueil
générale<http://www.marie-noelle-augendre.com>