[Digikam-users] How to use the RAW converter

Remco Viëtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Sun Sep 26 06:35:07 BST 2010

on Saturday 25 September 2010, Marie-Noëlle Augendre wrote:
> Thanks for your answer, but it's the Digikam procedure I'm stuck with.
>
> When trying to edit a raw picture:
>  - no function in the first tab ("Décodage brut" in french) seems to modify
> the picture ... or the preview reflects no change,
>  - second tab ("Post-traitement" in french) functions do modify the preview,
> but there is no save options available!?
>
> So I don't understand how to proceed to make some adjustement before saving
> my picture.
>
> Thanks for any idea.

First, the raw converter prepares the image for the image editor, you are not
yet in the image editor when doing raw conversion...

In the digikam raw converter, the first tab has a button 'update' which
applies the changes you made. No direct update, as the conversion can take
quite some time, especially when you select the option to rebuild the
highlights. (I think this is because a number of changes has to be applied
before the matrix interpolation and to the full image data)
The post-processing tab only has actions that are relatively fast so direct
preview is possible (also because the modifications can be done on the preview
image)

To get the image in the image editor, use the 'import', this will generate the
full image and open it in the image editor, where you can finish adjusting it
and save it (at the very least I apply some sharpening before saving, and
perspective or lens corrections, cropping if needed, etc.)

Hope this helps

Remco