[Digikam-users] Are ratings and tags saved in metadata?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Wed Sep 8 10:25:51 BST 2010

On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 09:54:45PM -0700, jag59 wrote:
> Chris G-6 wrote:
> >
> > Are picture ratings and tags saved into the picture metadata
> > somewhere?  If they are can someone tell me where they are stored
> > because I want to use them to select pictures to display in other
> > applications.
> >

> Ratings are  stored  in Exif Under Windows Rating,
> Tags at IPTC under Keywords and in XMP under Subject.
> This is when seen in Gwenview 2.5.0.of KDE 4.5.1.
> The application should be able to search these fields.

OK, thanks.

Is there any way in digikam to see all of the metadata laid out in a
fashion that makes it easy to see the keynames for each item.  As it
is there are many ways of accessing the metadata and it's difficult to
see which are actually the same and which are different.  I.e. one can
see:-

    Select 'Captions/Tags' on the RH menu and you see Caption, Date,
    Rating and Tag.

    Select 'Colours' and you see some some colour 'Header' information.

    Select 'Metadata' and there are EXIF, IPTC, Makernote and XMP tabs
    but, as far as I can see, Captions, Tags and Ratings are not shown
    here even though they are actually metadat.

    Select 'Properties' and you see yet *another* selection of fields
    from the metadata (at least I assume that's what is being shown).

Then there is Image->Metadata in the menu which allows editing of the
metadata but again doesn't show the actual EXIF/IPTC keywords so again
there's no way of knowing what you're actually altering or how it
relates to the tabs above.  Also, again, ratings and tags can't be
changed here although they are atually metadata.

Can we not have a way of showing the 'raw' metadata somewhere?  I need
this so that I can write utilities to access (and set) metadata fields
in a way that I can use in digikam.

--
Chris Green