[Digikam-users] Can't reduce saturation of only 'Red'.

jag59 jldeshpande at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 02:29:30 BST 2010

jag59 wrote:

> In editor, with Color> Hue/Saturation/Lightness>Channel Red (in the
> drop-down list), I can not reduce saturation of only 'Red' channel.This
> reduces saturation of all channels in spite of selecting either Luminosity
> or Red or Green or Blue in the drop-down list.
> My Nikon D40 gives much saturated (red) skin in portrait mode.Is there any
> way to achieve this?
> Reducing level of red is not useful as we need to reduce only saturated
> reds, not all reds in the image.
> Reducing 'Temperature' in 'White Balance' overexposes the image,but seems
> this is the only solution presently.
> In many tools,selecting one among Luminosity,Red,Green or Blue from the
> drop-down menu does not make any difference besides showing graph for that
> color.

At last I found  the solution,though not direct but can say a workaround.
In Color>Hue/Saturation/Lightness......reduce saturation to @ (-)40  and
then increase vibrance to 70.This attends the over saturated skin tones
without affecting other colors.
This  gives almost same results which I get in GIMP by selecting 'red
instead of default master' in the 'hue-saturation tool' and reducing it's
saturation.

Hope in future version the sliders in H/S/L tool will work only on selected
channel.

Regards.

-----
Jagdeesh Deshpande.