[Digikam-users] Even Digikam 1.4 doesn't run on my Xubuntu 10.04 system - help!

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Mon Sep 6 15:48:22 BST 2010

On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 03:39:01PM +0100, Chris G wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 02:15:46PM +0100, Chris G wrote:
> > This is very frustrating, I've been trying to work out exactly what
> > makes Digikam crash on my system without much luck.  I'm running
> > Digikam 1.2 on xubuntu 10.04 (I have actually tried a later Digikam
> > from the PPA repository but it acted just the same).
> >
> On searching around some more in Google and looking at some of the
> related bug reports it seems as if it could be that the problem is
> related to Digikam using gstreamer rather than xine.
>
> Is there a way to make Digikam use xine rather than gstreamer?

Hey, eureka, that was it!  :-)

I installed phonon-backend-zine and then uninstalled
phonon-backend-gstreamer and now digikam doesn't crash! Hurrah!

I was pleasantly surprised that ubuntu's package manager let me do
this, I did first try uninstalling phonon-backend-gstreamer but that
wanted to uninstall all the dependencies (digikam and all its KDE
library dependencies).  But installing phonon-backend-zine first
allowed me to uninstall phonon-backend-gstreamer by itself.

I'm not at all sure why changing users/desktops affects this but no
matter, I have a reliable Digikam again.

--
Chris Green