[Digikam-users] Best LInux distro for my needs?

David Talmage talmage at acm.org
Fri Sep 3 15:56:31 BST 2010

On Fri Sep  3  9:47 , Sveinn í Felli <sveinki at nett.is> sent:

>Þann fim  2.sep 2010 13:16, skrifaði Paul Verizzo:
>>   You may recall that I'm going to probably use an old
>> computer dedicated to digiKam on Linux - that's how much I
>> love this thing! - in order to gain stability and faster
>> updates. I don't recall the specifics, but it's an older,
>> slower machine. It runs Windows 2000 OK, but the USB is 1.0,
>> so that gives you some clue as to hardware level. It will
>> have to do for now.
>>
>> So, what's the best distro for me? First, minimal overhead
>> on the computer. I'm thinking one of the KDE based laptop or
>> netbook distros. Does that make sense?

>You really should give your Digikam installation some
>resources (Why not VirtualBox?), the experience is not the

I want to offer a caution about VirtualBox.  I've used it for a year or more on a
Mac Mini OSX host with a Kubuntu guest OS.  It works well enough but you have to
be careful when you upgrade VirtualBox.  Almost every time there is a VirtualBox
upgrade, the Linux guest additions break and I lose access to host OS's file
system, where I store my photos.  Then I have to remember to reinstall the guest
additions.  The most recent update broke both X11 and the host file system
access.  Depending on which guest additions I install, I can use X11 (w/Ubuntu's
guest additions) or the host file system (with VirtualBox's guest additions) but
not both.  This last upgrade made me stop using VirtualBox.  I just bought a new
Toshiba R705 to run Kubuntu and Digikam.  It will replace my Mac Mini and my netbook.

David Talmage