[Digikam-users] Best LInux distro for my needs? / Debian in VirtualBox

Vlado Plaga rechner at vlado-do.de
Thu Sep 2 16:36:51 BST 2010

Am Thu, 02 Sep 2010 09:16:29 -0400
schrieb Paul Verizzo <paulv at paulv.net>:

> And no, dual boot isn't the solution.  I want to be able to use the rest of my computer while working in DK, to say nothing of the new partition thing.

Yes, I remember your e-mail on digiKam/Windows instability. I answered
with "why not dual-boot?", and your answer makes sense. So here is
another suggestion: use VirtualBox, as Gerlos thought you wanted to do,
because he thought you were just talking about one computer instead of
two.

I use VirtualBox under Ubuntu, and I'm running Windows 2000 (Internet
Explorer 6), Windows XP (Internet Explorer 8) and Windows 7 (IE 9
preview) in it. It works very well and with the "shared folder" feature
transferring files between host and guest is relatively convenient (and
should certainly be faster than with USB1).

DigiKam 1.2 on Debian and Ubuntu works all right for my purposes. I'm
most accustomed to these distros, and I can recommend them. If you'd be
contend with digiKam 1.2 for some time (which is already very good for
organizing photos), and don't want to upgrade the complete system within
the next year or longer, I'd recommend using Debian "testing", which is
already "frozen" and will become 6.0 at some point. By default Debian
comes with the Gnome desktop environment, but this can easily be
replaced by KDE, or a lightweight environment such as XFCE.

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/

Virtualbox is easy and free to use:
http://www.virtualbox.org/

Ubuntu 10.04 also comes with digiKam 1.2, and Ubuntu 10.10 might come
with a broken digiKam 1.3:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/digikam/+bug/625452

Regards,
Vlado