[Digikam-users] Transferring image files and database to new hard drive

Jean-Michel Pouré jm at poure.com
Wed Sep 1 11:15:48 BST 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 20:17 -0600, Darren Kirby wrote:
> Current FS is ext3, and ideally I
> am looking for a FS with a good compromise between stability and
> speed.

I am using a 5 disc server installed with RAID5 + lvm + ext3, which
makes around 4Gb. I connect using SMB and it seems to suit my needs. I
noticed the output was around 35Mb/s, which is okay compared to 80Mb/s
on a SATA disc.

I can only encourage you to use lvm+RAID to keep your photos. You can
start using two discs only. This is very suitable on a desktop.

Today, if you have a separate room to keep a server running, there are
very cheap NAS solutions. I even found that one on Internet recently:

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360286798360

This server has 30 sata disc enclosures. But you need to configure it
from scratch. I have one of these, but with 5 enclosures. It makes a lot
of noise!

Delivery is a little bit expensive, you can probably ask the seller for
less.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel