[Digikam-users] Re: Changing Digikam environment

jag59 jldeshpande at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 06:20:12 BST 2010

Marie-Noëlle Augendre wrote:

> I intend to switch quite soon from Ubuntu to Fedora (Digikam 1.5 is
> already
> available with this distro).
> This will be the first time I'll desinstall a system to put another one in
> its place. Is there anything I should know before doing that, or will
> Digikam work "straight out of the box" with the new distribution and my
> current images?
>
> Additionally, as I will have two different computers with the same
> distribution, can I move my images and database to an external drive so I
> can use it with either computer?
>
> Thanks for answers,
> Marie-Noëlle
>
> --
> Une galerie photos, un blog ... pourquoi pas ? Webmaster en
> herbe<http://www.webmaster-en-herbe.net/>
>
> Parcourez les Cévennes à ma façon : Cévennes
> Plurielles<http://www.cevennes-plurielles.com>
>
> Et toutes mes autres publications à partir de ma page d'accueil
> générale<http://www.marie-noelle-augendre.com>

Hi Marie-Noëlle

Best luck for the switch over,but before that,I humbly request you to test
PCLinuxoS2010-KDE in virtual box or with a live CD.It is a rolling distro
giving latest applications. You need not install every after 6 months,though
necessary after @ 3 years approximately.
We (PCLinuxoS users) got Digikam 1.5 on the date of it's release,see at
http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php/topic,80953.0.html
No distro is 100% perfect/stable but I prefer PCLinuxoS over bleeding edge
Fedora.Moreover I need not install every after 6 months and can use my time
& energy in getting acquainted with applications, mastering them to the
extent possible  and getting some output!
Regarding "as I will have two different computers with the same
distribution, can I move my images and database to an external drive so I
can use it with either computer?"........pl. go through the tips at
http://digikam.1695700.n4.nabble.com/Transferring-image-files-and-database-to-new-hard-drive-tp2400948p2400948.html
 There  ' Andreas Tono' mentions that "      Think about the timestamps for
each file in the filesystem.
If digikam keeeps that also in the database you may get a problem."
'Lucky Backup' has nice GUI,is fast & is based upon 'rsync'.....this may
help you.
Pl. request     '      Darren Kirby '     for  his experience reg his data
transfer to new hard disk at the above mentioned post/link. His feed back
will help many others.

Regards.  .

-----
Jagdeesh Deshpande.