[Digikam-users] Re: How to use the RAW converter

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Wed Oct 6 18:03:36 BST 2010

Am Mittwoch, 6. Oktober 2010 schrieb Marie-Noëlle Augendre:
> I have a question for those who use ufraw or another
> non-proprietary tool: have you found the icc files for your
> camera, or do you use the DNG converter provided by Digikam?

Jep, I found the icc files and I used them for testing and for one
shooting.

I don't use the DNG converter as this brings horrible results from my
cr2 files. I test it every now and then, but the white balance as well
as the exposure is a total mess.

I tried Adobes DNG converter as well (on my windows VirtualBox). The
results are much better but not as good as the original raws.

> I've found a lot of icc files on the Canon CD, but I don't know
> which ones I must use for the EOS 450D.

If you really want to take the step into colour management throw away
the canon icc files. The results are not as good as the default ufraw
color-matrix. Only in some strange highlight situations they are
better.

Default icc files for a camera are not a good idea. Either you
calibrate and profile your camera under the circumstances you use it or
the main benefit of colour management - getting a well defined
reproduction of the colour - is not guaranteed.

BTW: then you have to go the next step and have to calibrate and
profile your monitor, scanner and printer as well. And you no longer
can use the cheap photo labs as they don't care about colour
management.

I bought me an IT8 target for the camera and the scanner and a
colorimeter to set my monitor (a cheap spyder 2) to have an almost
calibrated environment. With the IT8 target I create icc files for my
camera myself and at least with ufraw they are working. With the
digikam raw converter the results are crap  - so as I don't use it I
can live with this.

And to my own icc files: I am not always satisfied with them. It is not
that easy to take a good picture which is usable for calibrating and
profiling.

> So if you have any hint or advice ...
>
> Thanks,
> Marie-Noëlle