[Digikam-users] Importing from Canon 50D

Simon Cropper scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Thu May 20 01:48:35 BST 2010

On Thursday 20 May 2010 00:22:12 davidvj wrote:
> no idea why it worked

David,

This would be expected behaviour wouldn't it?

In Windows and also Linux I think, you need to decide whether you intend to
have your system see a camera as a camera or a USB device. If you choose the
latter when you attach your camera it turns on nautilus/explorer, where as if
you choose the former then DigiKam or any other program used to manage you
photo is told that the camera is attached and the main GUI is started.

If you look under camera configuration in the DigiKam Preferences it has a
series of options for 'mounting cameras' or having 'cameras seen as cameras',
once set however - depending on the system - I believe this stays as a system
preference.

So you probably had the system log the camera as a USB device (due to
historical preferences?), consequently making it 'invisible' to DigiKam. Over-
riding the system behaviour allows DigiKam to see the camera, interact with it
and eventually set system preferences.

--
Cheer Simon

	Simon Cropper