[Digikam-users] Easy tags management

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Wed May 19 00:46:06 BST 2010

Hi,

This is my first post to the list, thus I'd like to to say Hello!

I've been using digiKam for a few months. I'm pleased as punch.
However, I have got some observation about tags management.

I heavily use tags. I have a couple of hundreds of tags.
I don't structure tags in tree of subtags, but it's just a flat list.
This makes the list in the tags management window is very long
and requires plenty of scrolling, etc. It makes it nearly unusable
while working with hundreds of photos.

In many cases, I add tags in a batch specifying "tag1,tag2,tag3".
It works well as long as none of specified tag exists.
If, for example, tag2 exists, then error is thrown.
For existing tags, digiKam could just select and set them
for selected photos.

I haven't found any way to make copy tags from one picture to another.
It would be really helpful if tags can be copied and pasted
i.e. to text editor as a comma separated string.
Such string could be edited, copied to clipboard and used
directly to assign tags for selected photos.

That way tags management would become more efficient,
without any need to scroll along the list and select tags.

A shortcut to reset focus location in the tags tree would be useful to.
It is annoying to remember before adding new tags if another tag is was
selected or the root node has focus, so new tags can be added directly
below the root.

Perhaps I'm just missing some digiKam Fu and it all works well,
then I'd be thankful for some tips.

Best regards,