[Digikam-users] Automatic filling of IPTC/XMP location tags based on GPS coordinates

Gabriel Voicu ping.gabi at gmail.com
Tue May 11 22:45:01 BST 2010

Hello,

> I do not have special needs - search by name for individual XMP location
> tags like it exists for other picture properties would be sufficient.

It's OK, this part is integrated in my Google Summer of Code project . If
you want and want to speak more about this subject, you can follow my blog
here: www.digikam.org/drupal/blog/150 .

> Alternative search technique would be to pin point a place on the globe
> (pre-searched by entering country or town or street) and to define
> area/range around that point in km/miles. The result of the query should
> be images with GPS location in that perimeter or images without GPS info
> but with XMP location.
>
> There is already a geo-location tab in the interface for displaying the
> selected image on the globe, so instead of preparing a new GUI, this
> existing one could be made interactive.

Thank you for the idea. Me and Michael Hansen have thought on some ideas
(one of them was the one proposed by you), but we haven't decided yet on how
the "Search by location tool" will be improved.

Best Regards,

Gabriel