[Digikam-users] Automatic filling of IPTC/XMP location tags based on GPS coordinates

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Mon May 10 11:30:16 BST 2010

2010/5/9 Michael G. Hansen <mike at mghansen.de>:
> On 05/09/2010 02:33 PM, Milan Knížek wrote:
>> Michael G. Hansen píše v Ne 09. 05. 2010 v 11:28 +0200:
>>>
>>> yes, there are! Gabriel Voicu is working on this as part of his GSOC
>>> project. We intend to get data from Google Maps reverse geocoding,
>>> openstreetmap nominatim and geonames.org.
>>
>> Excelent! I hope that finally the xmp location tags will find their way
>> into digiKam also for easy editing and searching.
>
> Just to be sure we are talking about the same thing here: You mean the
> City/Sublocation/State/Province/Country fields in the "Edit
> Metadata->XMP->Origin" plugin?
>
> Output of exiv2 -PX
> Xmp.photoshop.City                   XmpText     8  somecity
> Xmp.photoshop.State                  XmpText    14 state/province
> Xmp.photoshop.Country                XmpText     7  Germany
> Xmp.iptc.Location                    XmpText    11  sublocation
> Xmp.iptc.CountryCode                 XmpText     3  DEU

These tags exist too in IPTC schema, where XMP is an adaptation. Of
course, XMP is the right way to set these information to metadata,
instead to used IPTC. At leaset both can be synchronized when it's
possible. Remember IPTC limitation in strings size and char encoding.

http://www.exiv2.org/iptc.html

http://www.exiv2.org/tags-xmp-photoshop.html