[Digikam-users] Albums: how do you organize them?

jim junk junk_jim at hotmail.com
Sun May 2 02:05:45 BST 2010

I use different methods at home and at work.  At work I use Windows Live Photo Organizer (wlpo).  I haven't been able to get Digikam to play nice with Windows XP.  I have wlpo download the images from the camera.  Wlpo groups the photos according to the date and time they were taken and then lets me have an option to add a name.  I generally use a name to describe the location of the photos and wlpo automaticly adds the date and time so I can add any name I want and still have a unique folder name.

I have wlpo place the photo folders on the desktop were they will remain until they are ready to be archived.  First I delete the bad photos then I use wlpo to create the panorama photos.  I work in a large park in the state of Florida, USA and many of the photos I take are to document what a place looks like in a particulate place and time and panorama photos are best for that.

Next I geocode all the images using Copic photo mapper.  Photo mapper uses a tack log gpx file from from a GPS unit that was recording the location at the time the photos were taken.  Photo Mapper takes the date and time on the photo and uses that to find the location for that date and time in the track log and then writes the lat/Lon to the photo.

Next I tag the photos.  I use lots of tags and most are hierarchical.  Sometimes I use the comment field to add additional information that might not be readily apparent from looking at the photo.  Then last I move the folder in to the photo archive and I'm done.

The important point is that I never use the name of the folder that the photos are in to find or locate photos.  I always use the tags to find what I'm looking for.  As I have Microsoft search 4.0 on my office computer I can use boolean searches in Microsoft search to find photos by searching for tags and never have to open wlpo.

At home I use a somewhat similar procedure except that I use Digikam to tag, organize and geocode photos.  I use Gebabbel to download the track file from the GPS as a GPX file.  At home I generally give the folders a place name (the place the photo was taken) and some of the places have a hierarchy; that is nested folders.  So I have folders like Georgia 2007 and Wyoming 2008.  Both of those folders are found in a folder hierarchy like Places/Georgia/Georgia 2007 and Places/ Wyoming/Wyoming 2008.  Yes I could just use the year but the folders started out not being in a hierarchy.  I use a template to add standard boiler plate to the photos.  Many of the folder names have a year added on the end but not all.  Mostly I use tags to find the images I'm looking for.

Remember as most images are geocoded with lat/lon I can use Digikams Map Search to find images taken at different locations.  This feature alone can justify why you want to use Digikam.  I absolutely love that feature; GO DIGIKAM!  Now if I could only get it to play well with XP at work.