[Digikam-users] converting cr2 to png - what then

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Sun Mar 28 19:15:04 BST 2010

Am Sonntag, 28. März 2010 schrieb Martin Senftleben:
> Hi,
>
> I'm sorry we had a similar discussion already, but I am still
> trying to figure out a good way to handle my fotos in the future
> in an efficient way without loosing quality.
> There are basically two questions:
> 1. Is it ok to delete the raw images after converting them to png?
> Or would it be better to keep them still? I guess I wouldn't be as
> flexible in working with the images with the png format than with
> the cr2s, that's why I'm uncertain. Also, I wonder if changes are
> made already to the image when converting to png.

I would never delete my raw data. See them as the film/dia stripe from
the old days. And I usually review my photos from time to time and try
different profiles and gradient curves.

Currently I don't user png at all. This format is way to slow. I hope
that the new PGF format will get more used and replace png once.

My current work-flow ist to do as much as possible with the raw
converter (currently I use UFraw) and the rest I have to do either
with digikam/showfoto or gimp. And only for real critical photos I use
16-bit png.

And yes, if you create a png from raw, either automatic or manual, you
have to interpret the data. So there are changes, but there is no
absolute way to get a png out of a raw file.

> 2. Is there a way to tell digikam to convert only raws (cr2) to
> png, and to leave the rest (jpg) as they are?

To what end? The advantage of raw file is to set white balance,
exposure, curves ... manually. To replace one automatic (the one of
the camera) with another (the one of digikam) does only make sense if
your camera automatic is not reliable.

I usually copy raw and jpeg. If I am satisifed with the jpeg I use
this one, if not I create one from the raw file.

> Thanks in advance for all suggestions and answers!
>
> Martin

Martin