[Digikam-users] Versions in Digikam

Carsten Bessing carsten at bessing.net
Wed Mar 17 12:07:59 GMT 2010

Hi

I'm considering switching from iPhoto in order to make my image archive
independent from a specific platform and application - and to store all the
metadata in the image files. Currently I'm in the process of installing
Digikam on my mac via MacPorts, and it seems that it has got everything I
could ask for.

My plan is to export my images from iPhoto (which will embed the iPhoto tags
in the files), then check and maybe correct my folder structure and file
naming and finally import into Digikam. Most of my images are jpg, but some
are (Canon) raw - these I plan to convert to DNG - and from now on only
shoot raw (now Panasonic) and convert to DNG for archival/management in
Digikam.

Now to my question ;-)

As I understand it, Digikam doesn't do non destructive editing. And one
thing I can't figure out from the manual is how to handle versions. From
iPhoto I'm used to only seeing one version of each image. If I edit a raw
file, iPhoto saves the edit as a jpg and only shows this jpg. But it keeps
the raw file so that I can go back to that if I want.

How do I do something similar in Digikam: Keep the original after an edit,
but only show the edited version - if an edited version exists?

Thank you for any advice and help.

/Carsten