[Digikam-users] Giving my wife access from her WINDOWS computer ?

Brano branob at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 16:36:33 BST 2010

On 10-06-25 11:00 AM, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-06-25 at 14:22 +0200, Stefan Grosse wrote:
>
>> Am 23.06.2010 00:54, schrieb Linuxguy123:
>>

>>> Does anyone have any ideas for accessing images from a Windows
>>> computer ?  Ie, one NOT running Linux ?
>>>
>> How about using a NAS?
>>
> Good qestion.   You mean I should set up a network storage system
> whereby I could run digikam on my computer and manipulate the images
> with my database and she could do the same ?
>
> Is anyone doing this ?
>
> For some reason I thought that digikam didn't work with networked
> storage.   Does it ?
>
> Thanks !

We're talking about two things here

1) How to share the photo folder?
Simple, on linux you export it via SAMBA and win can mount it. This is
exactly what NAS does. No need for dedicated NAS (but you can put one in
if it fit's your bigger picture)

2) digiKam binary / DB install? Up to version 1.2 each user should have
it's own local digiKam/db install. Each user can have the same share
folder with photos mapped. For linux this is traight forward ... use
your favourite package manager to install, on windows you need to follow
steps for digiKam on windows (the KDE project).
This will give each user it's own "view" into the albums with two
completely indenpendet DBs. You can re-sync metadata between each DB by
writting the metadata to files and then re-scan by the other other DB
respectively.

On version 1.3++ you can also share DB. The DB needs to run on one
server (PC) and can be accessed by multiple users. (Not sure if DB
replication is supported yet, that would allow multiple DB instances
...good for laptops. I'm still on 1.2 so I have zero practical
experience with full MySQL implementation in digiKam ...hoping to
upgrade with suse11.3 in a month or so)