[Digikam-users] tag structure

photonoxx at free.fr photonoxx at free.fr
Wed Jun 23 11:55:38 BST 2010

As describe, I would use the same thing, one geographical hierarchy of tag with "English garden" child of Munich and eventually an additional tag Park "hierarchised" or not (which describe what kind of place or subject is on the picture but not where it is).

As I work in a library, I practice indexation and "keywording" of book regularly. And use of plural form of a word can help to make distinction : THE English garden is only in Munich, and English gardens design design all garden of england or all gardens with the English style. So if you want a tag which concern the style of the garden an not the geographical situation, you could do this.

For particular case of Munich's English Garden, I could have to use the both tags, but, they aren't the same by use of the plural form (or by use of parenthesis if no plural forms exist -e.g "English garden (style)"-)  and they doesn't have similar signification nor the same kind of parent tag...

And with the digikam search tool you can find what you want.

If you have London/Hyde park, London/Green park , Munich/English garden, Munich/SüdPark and for example Paris/Luxembourg garden have too a KindOfPlace/Park tag, by looking for the "Park" tag (with tag filtering for example) you can find pictures about those gardens, and if you add a filter about London, you only have Londonians Gardens, and if you check Hyde park you only have Hyde Park pictures.

I think it should be relatively efficient.

Personnaly, for geographical tag, I use this kind of thing :

Country (it's the parent tag name)
   /name of the country (or "sub-country" like Scotland for example)
     /name of the region or the zone (if needed by a large amount of picture)
       /Name of sub-zone if any
         /name of the town or of the place
           /eventually the name of a particular place of this place or town if a lot of place here

For example, in France I could have :

Country/France/Normandie/Eure/Les Andelys-Château Gaillard

And if I want, I'll create later another hierarchy with :

KindOfPLace/Castles/Medieval etc...