[Digikam-users] tag structure

Benedikt Rudolph benedikt.rudolph at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 14:32:23 BST 2010

Hello everybody!

I am new to digiKam and I am currently developing a tagging system/structure
that works for my needs. After some experiments with digiKam and a lot of
online archive reading there are several open questions left. Let me explain
this with an example:

I live in Munich and there is a nice park in the city called English Garden.
I've shot some pictures there and I've tagged them with "English Garden".
For the tag structure I have /city/Munich/English Garden. Now let's assume
that I'll visit London and I'll take some pictures in Hyde Park. I'll tag
them with "Hyde Park" and I'll use the tag structure /city/London/Hyde Park.
Ok, no problems so far.

But now I'd like to have a tag "park" which is a super-tag of "English
Garden" and "Hyde Park". Thus, I'd be in need of a tag structure like
/park/English Garden and /park/Hyde Park. However, as far as I know I cannot
assign both, /city/Munich and /park, as super-tags to English Garden.

Of course it would be possible to create to distinct tag structures
/city/Munich/English Garden and /park/English Garden. I would then have to
tag every picture twice with two distinct "English Garden"-tags. This is
quite ugly in my opinion for two reasons: First, there is a lot of redundant
information stored in the image meta-data. Second, the semantics (i.e. the
English Garden is a park and the English Garden is located in Munich) cannot
be expressed and changed (!) without touching each single image.

To sum up:

Question 1.) Am I right that it is not possible to assign two or more
parents to a tag?

Question 2.) How do you work around such a "Multiple-Inheritance-Problem"?

Question 3.) Do you consider it feasible to use a flat tagging structure and
thereby completely exclude the semantics problem from digiKam?

Thanks a lot for your help and suggestions!
Bene