[Digikam-users] digiKam 1.3.0 - GENTOO

Wilkins, Vern W vwilkins at indiana.edu
Thu Jun 10 02:13:11 BST 2010

I'm not sure if this is appropriate for the list, but I'll give a short response and if anyone wants more info I'll reply off the list.

Here's how I upgraded to Digikam 1.3.0 on Gentoo, but the upgrade process always varies slightly, depending on what the Digikam requirements are and what sources are available in different places.

I was already on KDE 4.4, which is currently in portage.

If the kdegraphics libs required by 1.3.0 were not in svn, I'd usually just create my own ebuild.  Most of the time this is very simple, although I don't necessarily do it the 'correct' way.  I'll explain my basic process later.  Since I knew the required libs were only in svn, I went straight to the steps that I posted previously from the Digikam site.  http://www.digikam.org/download/svn?q=download/KDE4

I copied the steps from that page that I followed below.  I did not have to make any changes.
# svn co -N svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/KDE/kdegraphics
# cd kdegraphics
# svn up libs
# svn up cmake

After those steps I did these...from the same page of instructions.

# mkdir build
# cd build
# cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=debugfull -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=`kde4-config --prefix` ..
# make
# su
# make install

That got me all the required libraries I didn't already have on my system.  You might be missing others if you don't run as much from the unstable portage tree as I do, but you'll notice this when you compile digikam at the end.  If it doesn't find something, you just need to get it from the unstable tree in portage, as I didn't have to take anything else from an outside overlay.  I strongly dislike using external overlays and have had bad experiences with them on Gentoo (I think I've had similarly bad experiences with 3rd party repositories on other distributions, but others seem not to mind them).

I won't go over the steps for using a local overlay, as this is documented well on the Gentoo site, and very simple.  I use a local overlay in /usr/local/portage.
For this version I copied the ebuild for kipi-plugins-1.1.0 (or whatever the latest was) into the proper spot in my overlay.  I renamed the file to kipi-plugins-1.3.0.ebuild and checked the file to make sure there weren't any major changes required.  I believe there were patches in the ebuild file and I removed all those patches as I didn't think they were necessary.  Then I did 'ebuild kipi-plugins-1.3.0.ebuild digest'   At the time I did this, there was only one mirror that had the kipi-plugins 1.3.0 source code.  If all else is configured correctly for your overlay, you then just to ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -av kipi-plugins , or something similar, and you'll now be able to emerge the latest kipi-plugins.

I followed the same steps above for creating my own digikam-1.3.0 ebuild.  Again, I believe there were patches in the ebuild for 1.1.0 that I removed.  Look at the patches closely.  If I remember right, one of the patches Gentoo applied to an earlier build of either digikam or kipi-plugins was for jpeg-7a.  I'm running jpeg-8b, so I figured whatever the patch was for it was probably fixed either in the newer jpeg lib, or in the other applications.  That's the kind of chance I take sometimes to save time, and if something doesn't work right, then I go back and troubleshoot.  You kind of learn from experience what's crucial and what's not.  You can try to leave the patches in if you think they are needed.

I watch the make steps carefully, especially the initial steps where it tells you what functionality will or won't be built in.  If you are fast you'll see if it fails to detect a library and you can make the necessary adjustments.  In this case, everything was detected on my system, and there were no problems with the compile.  I've been using 1.3.0 off and on all day and everything works fine.

I'm leaving a lot of detail out about using the local overlay, but that's not really anything to do with digikam. If you need info on that just let me know off the list and I'll point you to the right place and provide any tips I can think of.  I ALWAYS have a local overlay w/ gentoo, so I can do my own ebuilds really quickly.  My method of editing/creating a new ebuild is suspect, but it works for me.  I could easily miss some functionality by not adding a new use flag, or I could miss a patch that someone else thinks is necessary, but I've never had problems with this method.  Eventually the stuff gets into portage and when the same version comes into portage, as what's in your local overlay, the version in the stable or unstable tree actually takes precedence over your overlay build, so even if the versions are the same, you will get the 'official' gentoo build as an update.

Hopefully that at least points you in the right direction, but like I said if you need more detail just let me know.  The first few steps took no time at all, other than the compile time (I'm on a quad core so compile time is minimal).  The ebuild edits were like a line or two out of each ebuild, again almost no time at all.  The compile time was the only thing significant.

Once you have your local overlay setup, and you get used to doing this, it's incredibly quick and 99% of the time requires very little thought.  Occasionally I run into a compile error or some dependency that takes some time to resolve but it's very rare.  Once you have the directory structure in your overlay for Digikam and it's dependencies (just copied from the main portage directory), upgrading to the latest version of Digikam the day it's released really becomes a breeze.

Vern