[Digikam-users] Shared collection

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Sun Jun 6 09:21:47 BST 2010

Am Samstag, 5. Juni 2010 schrieb Marcel Wiesweg:
> > > - if you write tags etc. to the image files, one user can
> > > easily overwrite the items set by the other user, who would
> > > then have information in his database that is different from
> > > the actual information in the files.
> >
> > I see your problem and it is one. I have tested this and tag or
> > caption changes don't get trough from one digikam user to another
> > one. Even if you update the file timestamp on metadata change
> > digikam of the other user will not update the metadata. I see
> > this as a bug, isn't it?
>
> If the two digikam instances run on the same session (DBus session
> bus) changes will be propagated.
> Otherwise, they wont; by which means should they? It would require
> some small server between them. It's a feature not implemented.

I think you took me wrong. Lets assume there are two users, Bob and
Sally. Bob has collections in folder /a, /b and /c. sally has
collections in /b, /c and /d. Both users uses the computer
exclusively. Both writes the metadata to file.

Bob adds an new photo paris.jpeg to folder /c and changes the tags to
location|France|Paris.

Sally (some times later) gets this new photo (as it is new) with the
tag. She adds a text "Lovely trip to Paris" as caption to the photo.

If Bob starts his digikam after Sally logged out he will not see the
changes made by Sally (at least with my digikam version 1.2). He has
to hit "reread metadata from files" to get them. But to do this, he
has to make wild guesses if the metadata have changed or not.

It would be great, if digikam can do this automatically and mark all
those files where metadata of the file and in the DB do not match. Or
use the data from the file (configurable by dialogue).

> Marcel

Martin