[Digikam-users] How to best save images

Micha? Smoczyk admin at nocnyrzepin.net
Sun Jan 24 12:45:55 GMT 2010

Martin (KDE) wrote:

>> That is generally the way I do, because of metadata - tagging is
>>  the key for me. digiKam (and exiv2) can't write metadata to Canon
>>  RAW files (CR2) which I use and I don't think this situation will
>>  change in close future. I save CR2 files in subdirectory untagged,
>>  convert them to PNG (loseless) which I tag.

> Hm, may be, in case of raw, it is possible to save the meta data not
> only in the internal digikam database, but in an extra exif file as
> well. Just my thoughts

As far as I know, digiKam don't recognize these kind of metadata
files automatically -- I mean I can save separately exiv / xmp /
iptc text file for given photo but it does not mean I can edit
metadata or load into or join with digiKam database in case of
corruption or something. I think this function is for archiving
purpose, and I have never used it.

It means also 3 extra files manually saved for each photo, waste of
time for my thousands of pictures. Cheers,

--
/\/\ichau, admin [malpka] nocnyrzepin [kropa] net
http://www.nocnyrzepin.net