[Digikam-users] How to best save images

Micha? Smoczyk admin at nocnyrzepin.net
Sun Jan 24 10:51:00 GMT 2010

Martin (KDE) wrote:

> Currently I shoot photos raw and midlle quality jpeg and copy these
> files to my harddisk with digikam. Usually I don't touch jpeg files
> any more. They are for a quick overview only. For digikam this is not
> necessary but for normal file managers and gwenview it is best
> handling.

That is generally the way I do, because of metadata - tagging is the
key for me. digiKam (and exiv2) can't write metadata to Canon RAW
files (CR2) which I use and I don't think this situation will change
in close future. I save CR2 files in subdirectory untagged, convert
them to PNG (loseless) which I tag.

> So for me raw data are the core. And I dream of a program which stores
> all the steps I do on the photo as command in a config file. So I can
> change some parameter in between without doing all the stuff once
> again.

Me too. Regards,

--
/\/\ichau, admin [malpka] nocnyrzepin [kropa] net
http://www.nocnyrzepin.net