[Digikam-users] Moving digiKam (KDE on windows) to another drive - where have the thumbnails gone?

Peter Shute pshute at nuw.org.au
Sat Jan 23 00:23:10 GMT 2010

All ok now, but not sure which of the things I tried fixed it.  I scanned for missing thumbnails, then I rebuilt the thumbnails, with no improvement, tried reimporting one directory, no improvement.  Then I logged out and in again, and now every copy of digikam is showing all the images again.

I suspect this was nothing to do with moving the software from C: to P:, but may have been the result of swapping between 1.0.0 beta5 and 1.0.0.  I suspect that beta5 leaves some processes running that 1.0.0 may try to use unsuccessfully.  Or perhaps a process started via C: will cause issues when digiKam started via P: tries to use them.

So there are several possible lessons learned here:
- don't mix your versions
- don't mix copies on different drives
- logout to kill all the processes before restarting the software when things go wrong
I'm not sure exactly which of these are valid, but the last one is probably worth remembering.