[Digikam-users] Digikam internal precision?

gerlos gerlosgm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 14:22:33 GMT 2010

Il giorno 19/gen/2010, alle ore 08.40, Gilles Caulier ha scritto:

> 2010/1/19 Greg Kennedy <kennedy.greg at gmail.com>:
>> But would it not help, say if you were doing repeatedly lots of
>> operations, to prevent loss of quality due to imprecision in 8-bit?  If
>> the 8-bit numbers were expanded to 16 bit (say mul. by 256) then you
>> could do all kinds of operations on them, then save the result back as
>> 8-bit rounded or truncated.
>
> With current code to convert 8 to 16, no, because expanded histogram
> has holes everywhere. Color informations are missing.

This is true, after we convert to 16 bits there are holes everywhere, but after a little tinkering with the image (for example denoising, blurring, curves adjust, ...) don't we get a more uniform histogram?
Image editing don't spread that color informations around?

From this point of view, don't you think that working in 16 bits and truncating them back to 8 bits could be useful?

These are only my hypothesis. I'm sure you can give us better explanations. Or maybe we need some experiments with some images...

bye
gerlos