[Digikam-users] png huge

Martin Senftleben DrMartinus at drmartinus.de
Tue Jan 19 16:45:42 GMT 2010

Hi,

with the many replies to my question I still believe I haven't been
understood properly, even though I am very grateful for the replies
which helped me to understand things better.

I recall the situation or my question:
from a jpg image file, a png image file is created. The jpg file can
contain only what is stored in it, right? The compression method is
lossy, so whatever is stored in there isn't complete already. This is
also - in my view - proven by the png that results when I transfer the
jpg file to the png format: they look absolutely alike, the png image
is in no way better than the "original" jpg image, it's only about 5
times larger.
The source of the png file is not the original raw image, but the
lossy compressed jpg file. Is it possible for the png to extract more
from the jpg file than there is in it? Or is it actually possible to
revert the compression made by the jpg format to get basically the raw
image (I doubt that, because then the jpg format wouldn't have lost
any of the original info)? If that's the case, I would understand, but
so far I couldn't read that from your replies.

Sorry if I appear a bit dumb on this...

Thanks for all replies

Martin
--
E-Mail digital signiert mit Hilfe von GPG -
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Privacy_Guard