[Digikam-users] png huge

jdd jdd at dodin.org
Mon Jan 18 19:27:43 GMT 2010

Le 18/01/2010 16:43, Martin Senftleben a écrit :

> Do I see that right, or am I completely on the wrong track?

you are completely on a wrong track.

10 Mega pixel image have a 10 mega bits size (and may be a little more
due to info management) when saved raw.

This size have nothing to do with the image *content* a it's
uncompressed. so saving as uncompressed PNG or TIFF gives nearly the
same size.

As an other answer said, the png compress algorithm is not really
efficient for most images, when jpeg can be very efficient.

That's also why nobody can know for sure what is the size of a jpeg
image: the size depends of the content

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net