[Digikam-users] png huge

Martin Senftleben DrMartinus at drmartinus.de
Mon Jan 18 15:43:54 GMT 2010

Hi

I have another thing that puzzles me: I've set digikam to store images
as png, and always wonder how or rather why it makes out of a 2 MB jpg
file a 10 MB png file, even though the png compression is set to its
highest rate. Does png mean to increase file size by 5? Where does the
additional info, that couldn't be in the jpg file, come from?
Please point me to the place where this is explained, in case it has
been done already. I didn't find anything. Only the usual: jpg does
lossy compression, png doesn't.
But I see it maybe too simple: The jpg file has a limited amount of
info - uncompressed in a sense, because it's the original from which
the png file is made. The png file now takes this info and then gets
compressed to the maximum possible - yet it's 5 times larger.

Do I see that right, or am I completely on the wrong track?
When I make well readable screenshots e.g., the file size in png is
minimal (just a few kB), yet the image looks crisp and clear. So png
can be small, it doesn't have a tremendous overhead.

Any help in understanding this will be apprecieated.

Martin
--
E-Mail digital signiert mit Hilfe von GPG -
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Privacy_Guard