[Digikam-users] Adjusting Luminescance:

davidvincentjones davidvj at verizon.net
Fri Jan 15 10:09:25 GMT 2010

I have been using DK for more than 2 years now and I truly find it a
remarkable and most useful tool.

Recently I have been working on a Black and White series where subtle
changes in the luminescence (akin to burning and dodging in my darkroom) are
all important and I find in some instances that the degree of control
afforded is limited (or at least very very hard to control). I think my
comments below may be more applicable to B/W images than to Color work but I
may be pushing my luck with this remark.

I find myself often needing to resort to opening my raw data in either
Cinepaint or UFRaw, each of which give me subtly different results,
sometimes, but not always, achieving a better approximation to my final
needs.

I suspect that most image processing systems were designed for use in the 8
bit world where the limits of data manipulation were small and the clasicly
simple 'S' luminescence curve covers most general needs.

I need (or would like) to be able to 'tweak' on a much finer scale than I am
able to achieve on most of today's systems and wonder what thoughts others
have had in this direction.

A useful addition that I use in Cinepaint is the ability to move the
'mid'gray' position within the "Adjust Levels" ... this allows the retention
of subtle highlights quite easily. I cannot do this, to the same extent, in
DK easily

One competitive Win. program does allow the moving of tonal bands apart and
together .... could that also be incorporated into the DK "Levels" dialogue.
I really would like something where potentially I could juggle, together or
apart, each of the 16 bits, as I see fit with possible the MAX, MIN and MID
positions being used as 'Master controllers'.

My comments, in any way, are not a criticism of DK .. it truly is a fine
program but I woul like to hear from others how this particular aspect of
tonal control is percieved, paticularly from those working in the B/W mode.