[Digikam-users] Writing metadata to image files

Julien Narboux jnarboux at narboux.fr
Mon Jan 11 07:12:51 GMT 2010

spinsheet a écrit :
> Thanks, this is all quite informative. I do have some additional questions
>
> In 'Preferences' > 'Metadata' I see 'Common Metadata Actions', which of
> those choices writes the metadata to the actual image files themselves? The
> only one that I see that obviously writes metadata to the files is 'Write
> Metadata to RAW files (experimental)', I assume that that is not the one as
> I am not dealing with RAW files and it's also experimental.

You need to check the five first items of  "Common Metadata Actions".
Shift F1 on the option clarify what it does.

By the way, dear developpers,  I think the description of these options
is not very clear, I understand the confusion
of spinsheet.

 I would write :
"Save image caption as metadata embedded in files" instead of
"Save image caption as embedded text"

"Save image tags as metadata "Keywords" embedded in files" instead of
"Save image tags as "Keywords" tags"

Maybe there could be a label to explain the five first settings,
something saying:
"Which pieces of information do you want to save as (EXIF, IPCT, XMP)
metadata embedded into files.

> If I set this up on a network drive and write the metadata to the images,
> will others be able to do searches based on tags or will they only be able
> to see the tags associated with an image and not be able to actually do a
> search based on those tags? Will DigiKam build a database file based on the
> embedded metadata? As I do not want others to have write access to the
> images, will they be able to create their own custom tags that only reside
> on their machine and not in the images (I would imagine that this is true)?

Unfortunately, other people will have to use the "Album/ Reread metadata