[Digikam-users] digikam with xfce and thunar filemanager

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Sun Jan 10 13:55:28 GMT 2010

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 07:28:57AM -0500, Brano wrote:
> On 01/10/2010 07:14 AM, Chris G wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 12:37:48PM +0100, Gilles Caulier wrote:
> >
> >> I don't know about xbuntu...
> >>

> > I run digikam on xubuntu 9.10, that's version 1.0.0 beta5.
> >

> >> But i'm sure that you can setup that in kcontrol panel. Look
> >> this screenshot :
> >>
> >> http://digikam3rdparty.free.fr/temp/kdectrlpanel.jpeg
> >>

> > But there *isn't* a kcontrol panel in xfce, that's the whole point.
> >
> > The default file manager in xfce is thunar, all the other applications
> > seem to honour this default.
> >
> > Where does digikam use a file manager, is it for all the file
> > selections or just some?
> >

> DigiKam is using the DEFAULT SYSTEM file manager. You should consult
> xfce support forum to find out where/how to setup/change default file
> manager in xfce. This has nothing to do with DigiKam.

As far as I can see there isn't really such a thing as a default
system file manager, it may be that only KDE believes in such a thing.

Each application seems to select its own file manager, I see different
file selection dialogues with Firefox, Digikam and the desktop.
Digikam seems to use dolphin, the desktop uses thunar, firefox uses
something different.

You can get some change by setting the xfce desktop preferences so
that xfce doesn't manage the desktop but I think that probably only
affects applications which obey desktop preferences. (i.e. I think
it's probably an X preference of some sort)

In other words I suspect that it's a mess and not really anybody's
fault.  If you run digikam within KDE and like the KDE preferences
then all is well but outside KDE there are different ways of setting
the defaults and digikam isn't so well behaved with these.

--
Chris Green