[Digikam-users] Users manual?

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 17:14:26 GMT 2010

2010/1/5 Tom Cloyd <tomcloyd at comcast.net>:
> I STRONGLY think links to immediately available documentation should be
> visible in the main menu's Help item drop down or some other VISIBLE
> space. When I recently installed Digikam on my Kubuntu 9.10 OS, it came
> with NO help, no documentation a human being could easily find, and a
> lot of frustration. All help links, context help, etc., led to "no
> documentation available" messages.

OK, i will said one time, no more. hare well : digiKam documentation
is in a separate package because it's huge.

one binary package, on documentation

Go to package manage and enter digikam. look documentation package and
install it. that all

It certainly difficult to do for people who want to read some words.

> It took me close to 2 hours to find the solution to this problem. This
> is NOT good customer relations.  It's been three days and I still pissed.
>
> I find this program to be quite interesting, and likely very useful to
> me in the immediate future - BUT ONLY IF I CAN GET DOCUMENTATION ON ITS
> FUNCTIONS WITHOUT CLEARING MY SCHEDULE AND JUMPING ONTO THREE FORUMS
> (mild hyperbole there, but you get the idea) to find out where the stuff
> is hiding and what I have to do to get it on my machine..
>
> I really do NOT want to hear why I had this experience. I'm not
> interested. I don't care. I don't have time. I want to hear that it's
> going to be fixed, that in the future I'm going to get a complete
> program when I install digikam. A user interface that isn't rather easy
> to get into or get figured out is a failure. Period. I'm far from
> computer illiterate and I simply fell into a deep hole with my initial
> installation of digikam.

These words are unacceptable for me. i take A LOTS OF FREE TIME to
develop, coordinate, contact people, fix bugs, implement new feature.
An this is the same for all other people who work in digiKam project.
This is open source world, not a software company.

We are not payed for that. You want more service, you don't like my
words : no problem, go back to windows or mac an give money as a
customer...