[Digikam-users] Users manual?

BGP bigskypa at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 15:20:01 GMT 2010

Tom Cloyd wrote:
> I STRONGLY think links to immediately available documentation should
> be visible in the main menu's Help item drop down or some other
> VISIBLE space. When I recently installed Digikam on my Kubuntu 9.10
> OS, it came with NO help, no documentation a human being could easily
> find, and a lot of frustration. All help links, context help, etc.,
> led to "no documentation available" messages.
>
> It took me close to 2 hours to find the solution to this problem. This
> is NOT good customer relations.  It's been three days and I still pissed.
>
> I find this program to be quite interesting, and likely very useful to
> me in the immediate future - BUT ONLY IF I CAN GET DOCUMENTATION ON
> ITS FUNCTIONS WITHOUT CLEARING MY SCHEDULE AND JUMPING ONTO THREE
> FORUMS (mild hyperbole there, but you get the idea) to find out where
> the stuff is hiding and what I have to do to get it on my machine..
>
> I really do NOT want to hear why I had this experience. I'm not
> interested. I don't care. I don't have time. I want to hear that it's
> going to be fixed, that in the future I'm going to get a complete
> program when I install digikam. A user interface that isn't rather
> easy to get into or get figured out is a failure. Period. I'm far from
> computer illiterate and I simply fell into a deep hole with my initial
> installation of digikam.
>
> I continue to be amazed that this sort of thing is simply accepted in
> the Linux world. You want acceptance? Make yourself acceptable.
>
> (And thanks for this great program - as I'm getting into it, it looks
> very fine. I'm grateful to have it. Now please fix the damn packaging
> problem.)
>
> t.
>
> On 01/05/2010 06:28 AM, BGP wrote:
>> Gilles Caulier wrote:
>>
>>> install digikam handbook package.
>>>
>>> Gilles Caulier

>> How do I do that?
>>
>> Where do I get it?
>>
>> I just downloaded the Digikam.pdf file which I can open seperate from
>> Digikam.  Is that what everyone does?

I second your comments and it's exactly what I've thought about Linux
for a long time.  Make it easy to access, understandable and not some
computer geek techno-talk.  I have spent TOO MANY HOURS reading trash
from people that, for whatever reason, think they are the high-priests
of Linux, understand the system perfectly but have no brains in their
head or ability to tell others how to solve their problems with Linux.

Heck, I still don't even know how to download a program with that that
Tar ball or Tar bag or whatever it's called!!!!

Linux would've slaughtered Windows years ago if it had been as easy to
use (with some exceptions) as Windows.  I have no intention of going
back to Windows for most of my work but do not like having to put up
with nonsense from a poorly presented system.

On the other hand.....I really do like Ubuntu.  But, it's just a system,
a bunch of code lines and not a person.  It's a product with no emotion
and no soul so I'm under no obligation to regard it with the affection
or loyalty I'd have for a person.

Digikam is a good program.  Much nicer than that wretched Picasa (and
any thing that fool Google comes up with). The developers have done a
good job of making it....but they could add on a few more things that'd
make it the best.  To get a help manual requires a PhD just to download
and install.  Really, how hard could it be to include all of the extras
we need to start with ?