[Digikam-users] lost all tags on canon raw images

Jim Dory james at dorydesign.com
Sun Feb 21 20:13:42 GMT 2010

Thanks for that Peter,

When you say backup the database, I assume you're referring to the
digikam4.db file. Ok. However, back when I was keeping the database on the
NFS shares there were many times I had to delete it and let it rebuild so I
could again view the images. The jpeg tags were always back - I just don't
know if my raw image tags were also there or perhaps I hadn't tagged them
yet. So I guess I had a false sense of security - thinking the tags were
somewhere in the image rather than database.

I've noticed when I go to the menu Image/Metadata/Edit IPTC (or XMP) on a
raw image that the dialog window is broken. I cannot navigate around in it
or mouse clicks have no effect. Works fine on jpg images. So something on
Raw is broken - perhaps something on my computer. I run Gentoo's cutting
edge (their unstable branch) so am probably asking for trouble.

thx, Jim