[Digikam-users] Can't load camera as disk - final summary

Michael Gerdau mgd at qata.de
Wed Feb 10 08:14:30 GMT 2010

Hi list,

a few days ago I asked for advice as to how I could directly access the
CF card in my Nikon D700 which used to work with openSUSE 11.1 and no
longer works with openSUSE 11.2.

While my problem couldn't be solved the information provided by Robert
Zeller ultimately helped me to search for the proper keywords to get
the picture.

For those interested and with similar problems, here is a summary.

It seems the openSUSE USB handling has improved between 11.1 and 11.2
in that with 11.2 they have special treatment for PTP devices which
openSUSE lacked in 11.1 (back then all such devives would open as disks).

This is no problem with cameras like the Nikon D200 whose USB interface
can be switsched between PTP and mass storage. However the Nikon D700
does not have such a switch. In a Nikon forum I found the claim that all
professional Nikon cameras don't have such a switch. There two posters
claimed that a Nikon serviceperson had written them this switch set
wrongly had triggered too many service requests so Nikon decided it
is not needed. Well...

At this point in time there seems no option other than using a cardreader
which worked nicely in my case (D700 firmware is now updated).

For the future one may hope that openSUSE will present the option to
treat a PTP device like a mass storage device upon user request. In
an openSUSE forum I found a poster claiming he'd written a bugreport
to that end. I didn't investigate that any further though.

Hope this helps others with similar problem, best wishes,
Michael
 Michael Gerdau       email: mgd at qata.de