[Digikam-users] Can't load camera as disk

Robert Zeller robert.zeller at robert-zeller.org
Sat Feb 6 16:11:17 GMT 2010

Hi Michael,

I have a Nikon D200,  which should work - regarding USB connection to
the PC - in the same way as your D700. I also run open SUSE 11.2 and
digikam 1.1.0 on KDE 4.3.5.

I set the USB mode of my D200 NOT to PTP, but to Mass storage mode M
instead; thus the PC accepts the camera as a disk, similar to an USB
stick. Upon  recognition of the camera, KDE offers me two options:
either download files by digikam or open the camera in the file browser.
Choosing the file browser option, the camera is automatically mounted at
/media/NIKON D200 ; and I can access the root directory of the compact
flash card. Copying the firmware files into the root directory of the
flash card should be no problem at this point.

On my system the camera is mounted as : /dev/sdj1 on /media/NIKON D200
type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,flush,uid=1001,utf8,shortname=lower)

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Robert

On 02/05/2010 08:38 PM, Michael Gerdau wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm a happy camper with digikam. It works nicely together with my
> Nikon D700. No complaints...well, almost ;)
>
> Very rarely I need to directly access the flashdrive in my camera.
> Last time I did that was with openSUSE 11.1. Back then I could mount
> the camera as just an ordinary disk.
>
> However these days with openSUSE 11.2 and digikam 1.0.0 on KDE 4.3.5
> this is no longer possible. When I plug the camera into my computer it
> is detected as "USB Imaging Interface" and all I can do is open it with
> digikam. That is just fine most of the time.
>
> However today I wish to do a firmware update of my camera and that
> requires me to write the new firmware into the root dir of the flashdrive.
>

> By searching various openSUSE forums I have learned others seem to have
> a similar problem. Unfortunately there has been no solution or I have't
> been able to find it.
>

> Is this a problem with hal or is it a feature of digikam taking over
> complete control of my camera ?
>
> Can anybody shed some light here and enlighten me what happens. Even
> more appreciated would be advice how I could copy the firmware into
> the root of my flashdrive (and later remove it without formatting it).
>
> And no, I don't own a cardreader (apart from the camera).
>
> Best wishes,
> Michael

Dr. Robert Zeller
Dipl.-Physiker
Bergstr. 2
D-82266 Inning a.A.
GERMANY

Tel: +49-8143-7282
Tel (Office): +49-8143-264499
Mobile: +49-176-5014-0019
Internet-Tel (VoIP): sip:498143264470 at sip.1und1.de
Internet-Tel (VoIP): sip:498143264470 at manaslu.dyndns.org
Fax: +49-321-2124-6056
Skype: robertzeller-inning
Email: robert.zeller at robert-zeller.org
<mailto:robert.zeller at robert-zeller.org>
Web: http://www.robert-zeller.org <http://www.robert-zeller.org/>
Netscape Messenger: robertzeller
ICQ-Address: 60383972  nickname: roz99

/"Ich halte dafür, dass alle Narrheit eigentlich auf zwei  Eigenschaften
gepfropft sei, den Hochmut und den Geiz" Immanuel Kant (1764)
/*In a world without fences : Who needs Gates ?*
*"Preferible morir de pie antes que vivir arrodillado" Ernesto Che Guevara*