[Digikam-users] How to set a correct white balance in RAW import mode?

Etienne Imguimbert eimguimbert at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 11:13:17 GMT 2010

Hello digikam users !

I'm new to the list, and especially newbie in image processing. So
please excuse me if my questions seem a bit simple.

I'm actually trying to import correctly the raw pictures produced by
my new Panasonic G1 camera, and it seems a bit tricky.

I've read on the Internet that it is much better to set the white
balance before converting the raw to tiff or jpeg. However I can not
find a reliable method for performing this simple task, that would be
applicable within digikam. I think particularly on the method exposed
in the following Gimp/Ufraw tutorial (excuse me, it is in french
language): http://www.gimpfr.org/document/document_22/
To summarize this tutorial: the user selects an area of the picture
that should be white and homogeneous (by example an eye of the model),
and ufraw calculates the mean values of R, G and B of this area. The
white balance is well performed when these mean values of the selected
area get the same value of R, G & B, by playing with the temperature
and green cursors.

As far as I know, 2 tools are available to white balance the pic into
digikam: in raw processing mode and in image editing mode. But
depending on the current mode, the tool sets are not identical ! I
think particularly to the pipette that does not appear in raw import
mode and that should help greatly to set the white balance.
Furthermore I did not find a way to measure the mean values of colors
of an area selected by the user. Is it possible in digikam?

So my questions are:
- Is the method explained above a reliable method to get a correct
white balance?
- Is it possible to apply this method in digikam, especially in raw import mode?

I use Digikam in Kubuntu Karmic 9.10 (I think it is the 1.0-beta5
version), amd64 platform

Thank you

Best regards,
Etienne