[Digikam-users] Re: Is ARW to DNG completely lossless?

"Jens Müller" Tschenser at gmx.de
Wed Dec 29 08:43:11 GMT 2010

Hi,

in theory dng can store all the information that is in your arw file, it is up to the dng converter to do this. Adobes one and the kipiplugin dngconverter include the raw sensor data and all metadata as exif and makernotes (in dngprivate-data). Nevertheless I would not recommend to convert all your files to dng and then trash your originals. One reason is that some raw convertes like dxo do not work with dng-converted files. Another one is that digicam could not read some of the makernotes after conversation.
You can use dng files for easier processing (xmp support), but I would recommend to backup you originals on some medium like dvd.
Another option may be to include your original files into dng, so you have always the ability to extract them later, but this doubles the size of dng. Maybee this makes organization easier.

Regards, Jens

-------- Original-Nachricht --------