[Digikam-users] Re: Compiling Issues (still no joy)

Hevï Guy heviiguy at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 14:33:51 GMT 2010

On Tue, 2010-12-21 at 10:53 +0000, Mark Greenwood wrote:

> With respect, it's abundantly clear to anybody who does some research before comitting to a platform to work on. In this specific case, a quick Google of 'Digikam Nikon D90 Ubuntu' brought up plenty of references to the speed problem. Even the most knowledge-less newbie could have drawn some conclusions from that - like maybe not to bother trying Ubuntu.

I don't know about others  but, I certainly didn't forsake widoze for
Ubuntu just because I knew digiKam was available here. Discovering the
program *after* arriving here was a very pleasant surprise.

> > That's when users face problems like this, which they aren't qualified to solve, and wouldn't have got involved with if they suspected what was coming.
>
> I don't mean to sound rude. We make our own decisions and we should make sure they are informed ones, then we won't find ourselves moaning about how things weren't made clear to us.

Here's a Newb perspective:

Some of us are willing to enter into situations which we know are chock
full of evil monsters if we also know that there is a worthwhile reward
waiting for us at the end. After using digiKam with my simple
Point'n'Shoot, I became very impressed by its capabilities. It was only
when I finally purchased my Nikon DSLR that I encountered the
infuriating exiv2-related problems. Learning that others had
successfully overcome these issues was my light at the end of the
tunnel. The "moaning" was the result of feeling quite alone in a world
where I was unable to speak the language of its residents. I'm sure that
the frustration was a two-way street. .With the help of some very
generous people here, I was finally able to sort it out.

I suppose that I also find "moaning" to be distasteful. There are a
great many proficient Linux users who, I am convinced, feel that this is
no place at all for Windoze- refugee Newbs. I often see such moaning in
response to very-basic-to-you but major-to-us questions. Indeed, often
the responses are disdainful and sometimes even rude. It seems that the
only reason for them to even reply to a question is to throw their
superiority into the face of the under dogs Luckily, just like in any
society, those bullies rank in the minority.

Thank-you again to everybody who showed patience and understanding
during this process :-)