[Digikam-users] DigiKam on windows instability

Sveinn í Felli sveinki at nett.is
Wed Aug 25 10:00:07 BST 2010

Hi,

Þann mið 25.ágú 2010 00:22, skrifaði Paul Verizzo:
>    I've all but given up using digiKam on Windows.
> ---
> So maybe in the next week I'll take an old Windows 2000 box
> I have, install Ubuntu or other distro, and use my KBV
> switch for the monitor and keyboard that I use on "The
> Mothership." I'll still have to deal with the image files
> remaining on the Windows box where they automatically get
> backed up by Carbonite. Does anyone know if digiKam running
> on LInux can read and scan the files on Windows via the
> usual ethernet?

According to my limited knowledge, having a Windows box with
your images and a Linux machine besides with Digikam is no
problem. Latest versions of Digikam support remote album roots.

Just share your photo folder/partition in Windows, and take
care that your workgroup is the same on both machines (My
Computer-->Properties-->Workgroup on Win - editing
/etc/samba/smb.conf or installing a Samba GUI of some sort
on Linux). The linux user should be present on win (can be
the same on both, but...) and depending on the distro there
may be some firewall/hosts configuration (mostly automatic
on *buntu and similar).
This means that the fileserving is done through the smb/cifs
protocols which are thoroughly tested and robust.
And your photos would be accessible through
Network-->Windows-network-->Workgroup-->Share (or
smb://user@wincomputer/share/ )

There are many ways to do such a setup (better tutorials on
the web). Maybe some other linux distro would be
'friendlier' for a long-term Windows-user (I'm not
distro-flaming, but I'm often installing for 'new converts'
either LinuxMint (based on Ubuntu, good support) or even
PCLinuxOS - it has some internationalization/codepage
problems, but works well if one does not use some exotic
language). Ubuntu is always getting better towards new
users, but I've got doubts about Kubuntu.

On an old machine there can be performance issues, even with
some diet window manager; you would want to run Digikam
properly. Thumbnail generation and some of the editing can
use quite some resources.

And you would probably want a decent fully working graphics
driver, color management and a full speed (Gigabit) network.

just my 1 cent;

Sveinn í Felli